Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Pumpkins and Turkeys

This year for Halloween I was a real slacker of a mom. I just wasn't into it at all. We kind of threw together costumes at the last minute for the girls. (I didn't even get a picture of them in their costumes. I'm not sure how that happened). I told the boys that this year they were too old for costumes.

We bought pumpkins early in October for carving, but it never happened. It just seemed like every night there was just something going on. Dean having surgery the day before Halloween didn't help out either. Blah blah blah....excuses, excuses, I know. Anyway, the day after Halloween the kids were kind of feeling bad because we never got the pumpkins carved into jack o'lanterns.

SO...Monday night for family night we made our pumpkins into turkey's for Thanksgiving. We used sheets of craft foam to cut out feathers and the heads. We stuck them in with wooden skewers. We didn't actually carve them but had fun making them anyway.

Here are the results of our efforts.








Please note Logan's turkey. He has an arrow stuck in it complete with blood dripping out. Sheesh...BOYS!










Just remember I am not a crafty kind of person and not creative at at all so this was a big deal for me. But it did turn out to be a fun project, and alot less mess than carving pumpkins and having to scoop out pumpkin guts. That part I didn't miss.

Do you think I can talk them into doing this next year too? Yeah, I doubt it too.

7 comments:

Jamie said...

cute idea!! how fun ,and they can stay on your porch all november!!!

Roberts said...

Your a great mom. Halloween has never been one of my favorite holidays. I haven't had to carve a pumpkin for years, it's been great. Is your husband okay? I hope it wasn't major surgery. Leisa

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

What a cute idea. I think it's better than the carving thing, you know, less messy;)

Kandice said...

I hate carving pumpkins too. Your turkeys turned out so cute though.
I was in no mood to do none of the festivities on Halloween. My kids are still little enough that I have to though.

beckylbd said...

I, too, love the pumpkins. I noticed them the other day when we dropped by, but I forgot to mention how cute they looked. (I was distracted by begging, I suppose. Thanks for saying yes!!)

Mandy said...

SO CUTE!!!!!!!!

What a fun idea. Way to go. Sooo, whats up with Dean? is he alright?

Michele and Wyatt said...

What a great idea. See, you are creative. Halloween isn't my favorite holiday either.