Saturday, November 15, 2008

Christmas Secrets Revealed

A few weeks ago Becky called us and said "Want to go on a cruise with us?" I thought she was kidding. Yeah right. She told me they had decided to take their kids for Christmas. I mentioned it to Dean, and he was more open to the idea. We thought about it and decided that what we want most to give our kids right now are good fun family memories. If you asked them a few years from now what they got for Christmas in 2008, I doubt that any of them would be able to remember. But, they will never forget a family Christmas vacation. I was very reluctant, but Dean, Becky and Kelly finally talked me into it, and I relented. We will cruise to Cabo San Lucas.

We decided to keep it a secret for as long as we could, but it was getting harder not to slip and say something to the kids. Besides, isn't anticipation half of the fun? We decided to get all the kids together to tell them the news. We met over at the Dastrups house. We had all the kids gather in a circle. We told them we had something important to tell them and would give them clues to help them figure it out. I had gone to the dollar store to try and find things that could be used as clues. Now that was difficult! It was hard to find things through all the Christmas stuff in the store. We gave each kid a wrapped present and had them open them up one at a time. Here is what I came up with:

Braden - Clue #1 - Sunglasses



Spencer - Clue #2 - Hot Sauce (with a Mexican guy on the label)


Caitlin - Clue #3 - puzzle of the United States


Stacia - Clue #4 - flip flops


Makayla - Clue #5 - calendar with ocean scenes on it


Bryson - Clue #6 - toy plane


Logan - Clue #7 - a neck think that you can carry your ship ID in. (What is it called?)


(I also got them a sucker from the Mexican aisle in the grocery store. They were nasty. I think the package had been on the grocery store shelf for about 20 years. I am not kidding!)

By this time they were starting to catch on, well some of them were. Then Becky gave them each a ticket she had printed up telling them where they would be going and handed and envelope with the ticket inside to each one.



They excitedly ripped open the envelopes and read their tickets! It was so fun to watch their faces.


We leave on December 13th and return on the 18th. The kids will miss four days of school, come back for one day and then have Christmas break. This IS my kids Christmas. They will probably have just a present or two on Christmas Day and that is it. I have to admit, the thought of not having tons of Christmas shopping to do is quite appealing! I have been having a hard time this year getting excited about Christmas.

I am wondering if the actual Christmas Day will take on a new meaning for them. It won't be all about toys and presents. Hopefully we will be able to focus on the true meaning of Christmas a bit more this year.

Christmas will be quite different for us this year, but I hope it will be a Christmas they will always remember!

10 comments:

Roberts said...

I'm excited for you. I was just doing a digital scrapbook of our cruise last spring. I love cruises. We looked at them, but Taylor can't miss any school and the one's during Christmas break are too expensive. Have fun. Leisa

Kandice said...

That is so fun!!! How cute of a way to tell them. They will love it. I wish someday we could do something like that. I can't wait to see the pictures and hear of the fun.

Raymey, Kelly, and Madeline said...

Cool guys! I'll bet you'll have a blast. Are you guys going to learn some Spanish phrases?

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

How fun for you all. I would love to do that. your kids will remember this adventure forever. I hope you all have a fantasic time.

beckylbd said...

Can't wait!!!

Maren Kate said...

Will you please take me? I will make all decisions for free (just temporarily during the cruise) and I will be your personal translator. Doesn't that sound good? All you have to do is pay my passage. I'll even bring my own clothes. You won't have to provide them. Besides who cares about finals? Let me know next week at Thanksgiving.

The Davis Family said...

How unfair... I wish we could do that. Maybe in the kids get bigger. Have fun!

Michele and Wyatt said...

I think that is so awesome. I would love to do something like that for my kids sometime. My kids are still a little young, maybe when they get a little older. I hope you all have a great time.

Christie said...

How fun!! They will never forget it. I can't wait to hear all about it.

Michelle said...

I am so jelous. It will be so nice to be out in the warm sun away from the cold. Enjoy your time with your kids. I like the idea of not having to shop for Christmas to!!